Friday, November 4, 2011

RSBC Madness!!

Wow, It's Friday already! I'm finally able to get some time to blog about yesterday. Busy busy busy. Last night's work out was super hard. I felt really challenged and today I'm feeling the fruits of my labor lol. We started off with the typical warm up: running in place, a few squats, body weight bent over rows which basically are lifting your arms out down and up, like a T-Y-I, push ups and of course some good old mountain climbers. Then Curtis graced us with "call it an extended warm up" and threw in a Mitochondria Push up challenge. A little clip about Mitochondria since I'm no expert, taken from this site:

"Definition Mitochondria and Their Importance to the Metabolic Rate
Mitochondria are little organelles present within all cells of the human body. Mitochondria are often referred to as the “powerhouse of the cell” because they are responsible for producing most energy from food elements. They also contain all of the enzymes associated with aerobic energy production. These organelles are an important part of the metabolism because they control fat burning that occurs at low levels of exertion. The aerobic oxidation forms a large part of our basal metabolic rate so any increase in mitochondrial mass will help raise the metabolism."

So for this we did the 4 second push up... yowza. 2 seconds down, 2 seconds up. 60seconds of WORK and 60 seconds of rest...Slowing it down REALLY forces you to concentrate on your strength. You can't just use the force of gravity to thrust yourself up or down. Can I just say that these are like...10x harder than doing regular push ups? geez.

I could barely do them, I stopped several times, almost fell on my face several times... after the second round (out of 3) I went up to a tire, still could barely do them. I think for those I need to be on a wall.

Last night was killer.. I think I said that already, but it was seriously so hard. I was grunting and making all sorts of noise... sorry to my neighbors if you had to listen to me all night while Curtis was trying to kill us!

For the main workout: ESCALATING DENSITY. What's that? Basically starting out working and resting for equal amount of time, and then escalating your work, while decreasing your rest. Our cycles were like this:

(work/rest)
30/30
40/20
45/15
50/10 <-------- "f@#$**#)^%#@*&&#*@"

For each of those cycles we did 5 different exercises. 5x4= 20 total rounds. blech.

1. Staggered Squat Left (loaded with weights or not, I loaded with one 10 pounder)
2. Staggered Squat Right
3. Bent Over Rows <--- my shoulders are loving that one!
4. Sumo Squat with overhead press <----thighs are loving THAT one!
5. Mountain Climbers OR if you're extra feisty, at the half way point switching to Mountain Jumps... I wont even go there.

So each of those five we'd run through the 30/30, 40/20 etc. The last round, 50/10 was my most verbal round. At the end I pretty much collapsed on my mat and didn't move for a few minutes. Curtis succeeding in kicking my butt no doubt. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

After camp I had my hubby grab me a glass of my post workout drink then picked him and the kids up and headed to the grocery store. I wanted to try a Kale and Brussel Sprout salad that another camper, Allison, had mentioned before. I've never eaten either of them and was scared I'd really hate it. The first few bites I wasn't too thrilled. It wasn't BAD, just not amazing. Then I started getting a few of the toasted sunflower seeds on my fork that had been dressed in the homemade dressing I made... it slowly started getting better and better. By the end of my bowl, I think I fell in love. It was so delicious. Maybe it was an acquired taste or something, but I definitely acquired it! Thanks again Allison for the recipe, having more options means I have more chances to fuel my body correctly.



I pushed the double stroller out of the store and took off running. Elika screamed "WEEEEEE!!!!" and my husband screamed "Where are you GOING?!" He parked in the very first spot closest to the door but I took off and ran down a whole row of cars and back up to him at the car. I use to nag at him for parking so far away from the door because "look how far we have to walk now!"... LA-ZY! So last night he looked bewildered at me  and said, "What has gotten IN to YOU!?!"

Rock Star has...

Then he told me to run the cart back to the well  in front of the store. So I did. And that was that. I feel amazing!

2 comments:

  1. My ex-boyfriend used to get annoyed at me for always picking the LAST open space in a row instead of the first. LOL Glad you liked the salad! I think fresh food is indeed an acquired taste - we get numbed to real food tastes with all the junk we used to feed ourselves. I have another book for you... you coming to camp on Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    What is the recipe for your kale salad and the yummy dressing you made? I'm sure you told us somewhere already but I can't find it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete