Saturday, October 15, 2011

5K Walk for Cancer

Today I participated in the 5K Run to Fight Children's Cancer. It was a huge turnout, I'm assuming. I've never been to one before but there were well over a thousand people.

My only goal for today was to finish the race. And I couldn't :( Here is what happened today.

The race started at about 7:40. A few of my friends, Carmen and Jessica, were also there with me. They promised no matter how long it took me, they'd be waiting for me at the end, just get through it. I started off running. Btw, I HATE running. It's not my thing. It bores me to no end, and I don't even have an mp3 player to keep me company. I ran all the way to the 1k marker. I was pretty proud of myself. It wasn't a fast run but nonetheless I was running. I took it town a notch probably to a slow job/trot all the way to the 2k marker. By that point I had been noticing my right foot tingling for quite some time. Weird... It was as if I was sitting on my leg on the couch and my foot fell asleep and was waking up. It was very bizarre. So at that point I started a fast walk. I slowed way way down when my foot basically had NO feeling. A lady passing by stopped to make sure I was okay since I'd stopped to shake my foot a little, probably looked like a dog lol. She wondered if my shoe was too tight, they're not.. They're actually slightly looser than they should, I like some wiggle room. Then she said I might've pinched a nerve or something. Then she said I might have arch support problems. All good ideas, and I honestly have no clue what the right answer is. I'm puzzled. When sitting on thecouch or a chair and my foot falls asleep, I moved it around to get the blood flow going and feeling back in my foot. But I WAS moving, and the blood WAS flowing, so nothing makes sense.

I made it to the 3k marker when I decided to take a break and decide what to do. Do I keep going with no feeling in my foot? I was practically limping, looked injured, but wasn't in pain (besides the burning shins and calves but that's normal). Lots of people kept asking me if I was alright, which was really nice. After I'd rested for a few minutes the feeling returned to my foot. Ahh good, I can keep going. After about 20-30 yards it started getting tingly and then once again had no feeling. I could wiggle my toes but not feel a thing.

Cue another break, at this point I'm just so confused. Feeling comes back again and then around another 20 yards, it's gone. Again. At this rate I wasn't going to get anywhere.

I started getting a little freaked out. I probably could've kept going and finished by 6pm tonight. I was pretty worried though about why I would be losing feeling in my foot. I cut through the parking lot through the university to where the race began and ended.

In total I went about 4K. I'll be honest... it wasn't very fun. I was kind of bored and in the end pretty disappointed that I didn't finish. It was way more than I would've done a month ago though before boot camp. I'm doing another 5k November 6th with a friend because I promised. I plan on just walking that one with her. I think I'll stick to exercising at Rock Star Boot Camp though.

Curtis gave me the name of a sports shop that will help me get the right shoe for my stride. I'm going to check them out, maybe they can tell me what the H is wrong with me. It's never happened before, never during boot camp.. I've never been much of a runner, obviously, and when we sprint at camp it's for short periods of time. So maybe it's an endurance thing. Who knows.

So I didn't reach my goal, but I tried. Here we are before the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment